The Devereux Mansion 1912- 1936

 

    In 1912 Hall moved the Handicraft Shop to Beech Street in the Devereux section of Marblehead.  The mansion was turned into a sanatorium with rooms to house up to 40 patients.  A large structure on the property termed “the Barn” was used for the craft industries.  These included metalwork, carpentry, cement work,  weaving and basketry.

    The Devereux Mansion was  built in 1856 as part of an estate on the outskirts of Marblehead. At one time the home served as the “club house” of the Devereaux Country Club.   John and William Goldthwait purchased property that included the property in 1870.